Year 5 2019 - 2020
I hope you are all keeping well and making the best use of your time at home. Here are just a few reminders of Things that you could be doing.
- Read! Read! Read!
- Active Learn - I have loaded more Maths games and now added SPAG activities as well.
- Homework - If you log onto the Pupil Area I have set homework tasks for you to try. You won't need a printer for these, but you will need to use Word to open the tasks.
- Work Pack - the SPAG, Maths and Reading are there for you to dip in and out of. The answers are in the back, not for you to copy, but for you or your parents to mark your work.
- Diary - Remember that we spoke about the 'unprecedented situation' we find ourselves in and that a diary would be a brilliant way of capturing your experiences to share with friends after things return to normal and also to share with your children, and your grandchildren!
- Exercise - it is so important to stay fit and so join in with Joe Wicks, run around your garden or simply put on some music and dance!
The Government have made available a series of online lessons which will be updated weekly. Should you wish to view the Government's resources please search for Oak National Academy. The Year 5 topics in the foundation section are not necessarily the topics we would study in school (if they interest you, you can follow the lessons), however the English and Maths sections are very useful and relatively straightforward to follow and complete. Remember the work should be manageable anf fun.
Remember the MOST important thing is to isolate with your family. Stay safe. Keep well.
Welcome to Year 5
PE and swimming
Swimming is every Wednesday. Your child needs a costume, towel and swimming hat.
PE is every Thursday. For this, they will need a t-shirt, a pair of shorts and a pair of pumps. They should be clearly labelled and left in school in a named bag on their coat peg.
In this first term, we shall be learning about the properties and changes in different materials. We will be carrying out some tests and some very tasty investigations! We shall also begin our year long study of the changing world around us which will link into topics taught in the Spring and Summer term. This will involve getting our hands dirty as we plant bulbs and watch them grow.
Our first topic will be learning about the Ancient Egyptians which is always an eye opening experience as we find out about strange gods and making mummies. This will link into our first trip of the year to Bolton Museum.
Then we will move to South America and find out all about the climate, environment and settlements there.
In Food technology we will be sampling and cooking some different foods from around the world, and then in Autumn 2 making a moving toy.
In e-safety, we will focus on acceptable use and digital footprints. We will also learn about blogging, web design and 3D modelling.
Homework and reading
Homework is set on a Friday and should be returned to school for Thursday. Homework club runs on a Wednesday after school. Please ask for a place from Miss O'Sullivan via the school office. If homework is not returned on time, they will stay in on Thursday lunchtime to complete it.
Children should be encouraged to read regularly and their reading record should be brought into class every day. Their reading record will be monitored once a week. They should aim to read at home at least 3 times a week.
Please remember that jewellery and nail polish are not allowed to be worn. Stud earrings may be worn, but must be removed for swimming and PE.
Many thanks for your support,
Files to Download
Year 5: News items
Year 5: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display